Foothills Farmers’ Market was founded in 2008 through a grassroots movement of farmers and local food advocates, and was officially incorporated as a charitable non-profit on May 3, 2010. We initially operated under tents on Washington Street, moving to our permanent home in Uptown Shelby’s beautiful City Pavilion in May, 2015.
We provide easy access to food produced in Cleveland County and the surrounding 50 miles, and are proud to showcase the family-owned farms and small businesses in our region. Our vendors have deep roots in the rolling soils of the North Carolina Foothills, producing an astonishing array of fresh fruits & vegetables, meat & poultry products, baked goods, artisan cheeses, honey, nuts, herbs and other specialty food items. You’ll also find an assortment of ornamental and edible plants, plus handmade arts & crafts offered for sale each week.
Cleveland County is home to a dynamic local food system which unites producers and consumers in a common cause, where:
- Farms thrive and farmers prosper
- Everyone has access to high quality, nutritious, locally grown food
- Community values the economic, health, environmental and social benefits of local food
- Farmers’ markets strengthen, nourish and inspire community
Foothills Farmers’ Market provides community access to the freshest local foods available anywhere. We value family farms, endorse sustainable food production practices and innovation, contribute to the health and wellbeing of the local community, and support the growth of a robust local food economy.
- Create opportunities for small and mid-size family farms to engage profitably in production agriculture;
- Improve public health through increased availability and consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables;
- Reduce hunger and food insecurity in Cleveland County;
- Strengthen the social fabric of the community by building awareness and appreciation for local agriculture;
- Enhance tourism and retail trade in Uptown Shelby through spillover of market shoppers; and
- Foster entrepreneurial opportunities for small home-based business owners and youth.